Arash Moussavian Entertainment Law

A felony conviction on your record negatively impacts your life in many ways including elimination of your constitutional right to own a gun.  However, you may be able to restore your right to own a gun.  See discussion below regarding restoration of your gun rights (1) after you have been sentenced to state prison and (2) when no state prison term was imposed.


State Prison Sentence

If you were sentenced to state prison due to your felony conviction you have limited options for restoring your gun rights.  Your only option is to get a California Certificate of Rehabilitation, which once successful creates an application for a pardon with the Governor.  The certificate of rehabilitation does not restore your right to own a gun on its own.  Rather, the Pardon must be granted by the Governor.  Unfortunately, the Governor grants very few pardons mainly limited to non-violent crimes (e.g., drug crimes, etcetera).  Please call me for a free consultation on your options: 415-695-4545.


No State Prison Sentence

If you were convicted of a felony and were not sentenced to state prison, I may be able to restore your right to own a gun.  If the felony conviction is (1) a “wobbler” felony (i.e., felony that could have been charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony, see list of felony “wobbler” offenses), or (2) a qualifying conviction under Proposition 64, I can file a petition with the court to have the felony reduced to a misdemeanor.  If I am successful, your right to own a gun will be restored in most situations.  If your felony conviction is a straight felony (i.e., not a “wobbler” felony), the only way to restore your gun rights would be to (1) get the record expunged and (2) then get a certificate of rehabilitation, and (3) then get a Governor’s pardon.  A felony expungement or certificate of rehabilitation on their own do not restore your gun rights.  If the Governor grants the pardon, your right to own a gun will be restored.  Visit the felony expungement page.


Domestic Violence Gun Ban

The Lautenberg Act deprives you of your right to own a firearm at the federal level if you were convicted of a violent crime (e.g., domestic violence, battery) against either (1) your wife (at the time of the crime) and/or (2) the mother of your children (at the time of the crime).  This federal gun ban cannot be sidestepped.  If the violence crime did not involve your wife and/or the mother of your children, your right to own a firearm is not affected.  I can expunge your misdemeanor or felony conviction greatly improving your earning capacity and marketability in a competitive job market.


Specializing In Helping You Restore Your Gun Rights

Please call me if you have any questions regarding restoring your Second Amendment right to own a firearm.  I understand the importance of this fundamental right and will do everything to help you restore your rights.